CPYRWMA News and Activities

  • During the first 5½ months of 2017, the agency’s basin-wide Flood Warning System recorded an average of 34” of rainfall per gauge at each of its 22 gauges sites located in eight southeastern Alabama counties.
  • The CPYRWMA co-sponsored a project with the Coffee County Emergency Management Agency to obtain four Outdoor Warning Sirens which will provide 24/7 emergency warnings for both floods and tornadoes for more than 3,500 citizens in Coffee County.
  • Amye Hinson, an Environmental Engineering Specialist with the Geological Survey of Alabama (GSA), will spoke at the September board meeting about the groundwater assessment in southeast Alabama and GSA’s statewide real-time drought monitoring wells program.
  • The agency will be unveiling a new brochure all about the agency, its history, accomplishments, and on-going activities along with future plans. Look for it in the upcoming months!

DID YOU KNOW?

  • More than 97% of Earth’s water is in the oceans; of the remaining 3% only 0.3% of Earth’s water is fresh water in lakes, rivers, and in aquifers within a half mile of the Earth’s surface.
  • It is amazing to know the water we have on the earth today is all the water we are ever going to have!
  • The maximum instantaneous flow on the Choctawhatchee River at Newton, AL occurred March 18, 1990 and was approximately 87,500 cubic feet per second, equivalent to a rate of 56,700 million gallons per day (MGD).
  • An inch of rain falling on a square mile area is equivalent to more than 17 million gallons of water!